As of September 1 Spotify stopped requiring a Facebook account.
They added a “sign up with an e-mail address” option to their sign-up page. No need for a Facebook account to sign up anymore.
The create an account using my e-mail address is somewhat hidden at the bottom of the signup page.
Not working? Here is an alternative
Looks like the sign up with an e-mail address is not working in all countries. Users from Finland have reported that they get redirected to the Facebook sign up.
Here are the instructions. It’s really easy stuff, I swear. In a few minutes, you’ll have a new Spotify account, based in your own country (as long as Spotify is available in your country), without any link whatsoever to your most reviled social network.
Step 1: You need to find a web proxy based in Germany. https://www.german-proxy.de/ works great. A web proxy just makes websites think you’re in a different country.
Anyone with issues with the proxy can try this one instead: https://www.proxy-service.de/
Step 2: Enter this address into the proxy site: https://www.spotify.com/de/signup/open/ (or copy and paste) and click Go.
Step 3: When the page loads, you’ll see a giant blue Facebook-like button. Right below it, there should be green text that says, “Account mit meiner Email Adresse erstellen.” Click on that text. It’s a link.
Step 4: Here’s where you enter your personal information.
1. Benutzername (username) – You can’t change this later, so choose something you want forever.
2. Email (Email address) – Enter your email address here.
3. Kennwort (password) – Choose a unique password, not something you use anywhere else. You can change it later.
4. Kennwort bestätigen (password re-entry) – Type your password again.
5. Postleitzahl (postal code) – Must be a 5-digit number. Pick one from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_postal_codes_in_Germany
6. Geschlecht (sex) - männlich=male, weiblich=female
7. Geburtsdatum (birthdate) – select the appropriate day/month/year
8. Make sure the checkbox beside “Hiermit akzeptiere ich Spotify’s Datenschutzrichtlinien und Nutzungsbedingungen” is selected. This is your acceptance of the Spotify user agreement.
9. Select the “Weiter” button. This will take you to the next page.
Step 5: This next page lets you pick which service you want to subscribe to. You MUST select Spotify Es ist gratis! (Spotify Free!). You must also select a payment method. Choose the one on the far right, which represents a Spotify Gift Card. Select the “Weiter” button again.
You now have a German Spotify account without being linked to Facebook. Hooray! Let’s get it changed to your actual country now.
Step 6: Open a new tab in your web browser. You can close the one using the web proxy, as that is no longer required. Go directly to: http://www.spotify.com/us ( if you are not in the US, you can change “us” to “uk,no,de,nl etc.” )
Step 7: Log into your newly-created account. The “log in” button is in the top right corner of the web page. Be sure to choose “Log in using Spotify details.”
Step 10: Click “Change your country”
Step 11: Now change your Country and zip code to your real country (ie: USA) and real zip code (ie: 90210). Choose a real payment method. Even if you continue using Spotify Free, you still have to do this. If you have a Paypal account, that’s the easiest way to go. (your account will not be charged, this step is for verification only)
Step 12: Depending on what payment method you choose, you’ll either have to enter your credit card info or log into your Paypal account. Do that, and accept the prompts that follow.
DONE! You now have a Spotify account that has NO link to Facebook!
(If it makes you feel more safe you can even remove the payment method now)
When you log into the desktop app for the first time, all your preferences are reset to the defaults. You’ll be prompted to connect to Facebook, but you can choose “No thanks.” I also suggest going into the Preferences menu and immediately un-checking all of the local files folders. But that’s me. If you want Spotify Premium, just hit the “Upgrade” button in the desktop software and go from there.
CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!!
Proxy sites aren’t always very secure. That’s why I told you to use a unique password. Now that your account is all set up the way you want it, don’t forget to change your damn password again. Just to be safe.
Follow steps 7 and 8 above to log into your account and edit your profile. This time, instead of editing your Country and zip code, just change your password. Easy stuff.
THE SHORT VERSION
1. Go to spotify.com using a German web proxy: https://www.german-proxy.de/
2. Create a new German account using the link BELOW the Facebook link.
3. Stop using the web proxy!
4. Log into your account and change the payment method than change the country to your real one.
5. Enjoy Spotify without needing a Facebook account.
6. Change your password. Just to be safe.